Construction Site Supervisor
Work Location: St. Helens
Time & Salary: Contract employee for construction of 496 S. 8th Street, St. Helens
Part-time, hours will vary week to week. Wage DOE
Classification: Non-exempt, part-time
Reports to: Construction Manager and Executive Director
Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes in partnership with people and families in need of decent, affordable housing. It is essential to involve community members in this mission. Construction volunteers arrive on site with varying skill levels. The successful candidate for this position will be tasked with providing a meaningful volunteer experience while maintaining a high level of quality construction and a safe work environment for all construction projects.
The Site Supervisor will assist the Construction Manager and provide on-site supervision of volunteers building one new home. This person will lead volunteer construction teams and use excellent customer service skills to engage community volunteers while they are on the job site. This position requires vigilant adherence to the affiliate’s safety policy and applicable OHSA safety standards.
MAJOR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintain site safety through modeling of safety practices and guidelines, volunteer education, and site monitoring.
• Present a safety briefing and a jobsite orientation and goals for the day for all volunteer groups.
• Assess volunteer skills and ensure volunteers understand how to safely use tools and equipment.
• Ensures that CCHFH’s volunteer liability waivers are completed and safety policies are observed.
• Complete incident reports for any onsite injuries.
• Maintain a clean and organized work site.
• Maintain an inventory of safety equipment onsite.
• Determine the optimal number of volunteers for the task, tools needed and organize work parties that are productive and inclusive of all (homeowners, skilled long-term volunteers, unskilled daily volunteers and interested groups).
• Greet volunteers on group work days. Treat all home owners, volunteers, donors, vendors, compliance officials, visitors, neighbors and staff with warmth, dignity and respect.
• Supervise and lead a team of volunteers through daily construction activities. Anticipate and plan volunteer activities to ensure all volunteers have meaningful tasks. Be present on site to ensure tasks at hand are explained clearly.
• Record volunteers’ hours and submit to the office staff.
• Assess and coordinate all volunteer needs at work sites i.e. refreshments, PPE, etc.
• Work with supervisor to mitigate on-site problems.
Program Planning & Execution
• Consult with Construction Manager to update construction schedule.
• Oversee inventory and maintenance of tools.
• Supervise construction volunteers in a manner that reflects our culture and encourages future participation, with an emphasis on safety, quality fellowship and mission.
• Provide assistance to the Construction Manager as needed.
• Interpret construction drawings, and then work with the Construction Manager to gather the tools and materials necessary to execute the plans.
• Monitor construction work for quality, code compliance, and safe practices.
• Attend construction committee meetings.
• Successfully negotiate resolution of inspection issues.
• Provide updates regarding project status to Construction Manager and Executive Director.
Other duties as assigned
• 4+ years construction experience required. Must be familiar with construction tools and methods used in all phases of residential construction.
• Must have the ability to relate to people of different races, colors, religions, genders, ages and national origins.
• Ability to teach basic construction techniques to unskilled volunteers in a manner that is easily understood and not intimidating to the novice.
• Ability to read blueprints.
• Understand, support, respect and advocate for Habitat for Humanity’s mission.
• Must possess the ability to work independently.
• Strong communication and leadership skills
• Individual must be organized and capable of good task follow-up.
• Experience as a lead carpenter/construction supervisor a plus.
• Must have completed or have the ability to complete OSHA Competent Person Training.
• A valid driver’s license and good driving record and reliable transportation to construction site.
• Access to email and phone
• Basic computer skills.
• Ability to stand most or all day; maneuver on a construction site (over dirt, rocks, piles of material, uneven ground, etc.)
• Ability to climb ladders, bend, kneel and reach, in awkward and tiring positions
• Ability to work on ladders and heights up to two-stories.
• Ability to work outside in varying weather conditions.
• Ability to lift up to 60 lbs.
Benefits include: SIMPLE IRA with 3% employer match.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment is contingent upon completion of a satisfactory background check.
Email your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com with Construction Site Supervisor in the subject line.
Application deadline: October 27th, 2021 at 5:00 PM